Hell of a day today.

Eleven of us braved the potentially bad weather and fished Stump Pond and its neighbor, Robbins Pond, for the sixth MAKB tournament of the year.

The day started with some mist and a bit of a spring chill in the air. Luckily it never really rained on us. Always a good thing. And no lightning! Even better.

I know some people caught fish early, but it took me about an hour to get a bite. The rest of the day was a grind, as it was for most people. I only caught six keeper bass. I don’t think anyone else “slayed ’em,” either.

Despite the grind, a lot of quality fish were caught. It was a quality over quantity kind of day.

How about two 6-pounders? My father, Paul Reed, caught a 6.4lb slob on a white spinnerbait. Also on a spinnerbait, I think, Craig Page landed a beastly 6.2lb bass.

Though Paul technically caught the bigger bass, as happens in by-length tournaments, his 21.25-inch bass lost out to Craig’s 21.5-inch bass. Lunker by a quarter of an inch—and the big bass of the year so far!

Congrats, Craig! Sorry, Dad. Wunh wuuuuuuuh.

I caught one bass on a spinnerbait, also white, but the rest came on frogs—one on the Damiki Air Frog, one on a Yamafrog, and the rest on a Culprit Marsh Frog. My five went 82.5 inches, good enough for third place.

Though he lost lunker, my father slung his trusty spinnerbait out over deeper weeds and hauled in a hefty five that went 85.75 inches. A little second place redemption. Congrats, dude!

First place went to newcomer Evan McCarthy. This was his first kayak tournament! If I remember correctly, most if not all of his fish came on a chatterbait. His biggest five went 88.75 inches, the second biggest limit of the year.

Congrats, Evan!

(I owe you a trophy, by the way. Sorry I forgot to give it to you. Though I guess it’s not a big deal since I need to swap out the engraving plate. The one on it is for the Johns Pond tourney, which we canceled. I’ll get it to you as soon as possible!)

Collectively, we caught a ridiculous 700.25 inches of bass! Outstanding job, fellas!

As always, thanks for coming out. It is very much appreciated!

And special nod once again to Edward Neely who came all the way from Springfield, and to Bruce Sullivan who made a two-hour trek from New Hampshire! Check out his club, Granite State Kayak Anglers, if you’re from NH.

The next tournament is in two weeks, July 23, at Neponset Reservoir. Hope to see you there!